January 26, 2010

A statement

Yesterday was the birthday of former president Corazon Aquino, who died on August 1, 2009. She would have been 77. According to our newspapers, more than 400 Masses were offered for her, in the Philippines and in cities all over the world with large Filipino communities. I think that the overwhelming tribute for her these past few months since her death is not really a statement about her effectiveness as a president, which some people would question (but to be fair, her presidency was extremely tough, coming as it did after more than two decades of Ferdinand Marcos' dictatorial rule). Rather, it is a reflection of how we Filipinos are (finally) yearning for ethical leaders, especially after the countless corruption accusations that have rocked this current government.

yellow fan with ribbon
Yellow has always been Cory's color. Instead of wearing yellow shirts, most people nowadays sport a little yellow ribbon pin to show their support for the ideals that Cory embodied. One of Cory's former doctors gave away these yellow fans with ribbon-shaped handles made of handmade paper at the Mass and tribute that my husband and I attended yesterday.

23 comments:

ALL ABOUT...Portland Oregon Real Estate said...

Cool Hilda. Didn't know about the yellow color.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I learned something new today :-)

Lowell said...

I think that is a nice and effective way to express one's feelings...hopefully, many thousands wore them and are wearing them!

Anonymous said...

I do remember seeing her on TV.

Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

Verna Luga said...

I attended the mass too at San Pedro Cathedral here in Davao City, but we dont have that fan as a give-away, so generouus doctor. Very nice.

Don and Krise said...

I truly do believe she deserves the tributes and respect being shown. I know very little about her, but from what I understand her intentions were good.

Tash said...

Wonderful tribute to a great woman & leader, and to show the true feeling of the Philipino people. Terrific reminder for all of us to strive for ethical and just leaders. Great post, Hilda.

Olivier said...

Je ne connaissais pas, c'est un bel hommage national

VP said...

One of the things I remember of the period before Corazon Aquino, are the thousands of shoes of Imelda Marcos...

Cezar and Léia said...

A beautiful an important homage to this great woman!
Léia

Unknown said...

That's a beautiful way to celebrate a great woman.

Carraol said...

It a nice way to honored the lady.

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Always learning something from your blog. Interesting to read about the public sentiment for Corazon Aquino.

Jan
GDP

MurciaDailyPhoto said...

Thank you Hilda for sharing us this part of your history

maricar said...

Cory Aquino deserves it... she is a great woman... a great leader.

Leif Hagen said...

She was a great woman, great person, great president! She gave her life to making the Philippines a better place! Bravo, Cory, bravo!

escape said...

we'll never forget her. whatever yellow in the philippines, mostly represent cory.

Lois said...

What a nice tribute! I do remember her and my hope is that I will see a woman president in my own country during my lifetime.

lunarossa said...

A very brave lady who deserves her country's affection and remembrance for who shes was in life and what she represents now. All the best. Ciao. A.

James Mark said...

And one of my best ESOL lessons was on Corrie Aquino, using the BBC World Service learning English (Words in the News) page. I've used it three of four times and it always produces good discussion.

Chuck Pefley said...

Yellow ribbons in the US indicate support for our troops abroad. I wonder if "yellow" is an universal symbol for support?

Ken Mac said...

we all need ethical leaders!

George said...

I think it is wonderful that President Aquino is remembered so widely and so fondly.