August 6, 2009

Soldiers with a taste for luxury

Across yesterday's Glorietta 5 is one of the entrances to the sprawling, original Glorietta which is actually several interconnected malls. 1 to 4 should be in there somewhere. When I was much younger, these shopping centers were all separate buildings until the property arm of the Ayala Corporation, which owns all the land in the Ayala Commercial Center, decided to put them all literally under one roof. It has a big, circular area in the middle for mall events, with a stage for performances and a playground for children. When walking from the Ayala Station to Greenbelt, I usually cut across inside because of the airconditioning. The two tall towers connected to the mall are the Ascott Makati with its luxurious serviced residences, a cross between a hotel and an apartment. It used to be called the Oakwood Premier and this was where a group of more than 300 soldiers decided to hole up when they mutineed against President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo in 2003. It was soon after the Oakwood Mutiny that Ayala Land turned over management of the serviced residences to the Ascott Group.

Glorietta and the Ascott Makati

19 comments:

Lowell said...

Utterly amazing! What a story. Really very attractive buildings; I can imagine the mall would be a favorite place for shoppers with their kiddos.

gogouci said...

This is exactly where I would want to rest if I participated in a mutiny. As usual, great story.

Don and Krise said...

So interesting Hilda. It looks like you could shop for a year and never run out of stores.

Olivier said...

merci pour cette intéressante histoire de ta ville. Ce centre commercial est immense.
thank you for this interesting history of your city. This shopping centre is huge.

Cezar and Léia said...

These buildings are huge and charming!I loved your story!
By the way in hot days I use to cut across inside some galleries for the air conditioning as well! ;)
Léia

VP said...

This is a very interesting story, mutineers included. It has to be a huge interconnected mall, I'd like to explore it.

Elaine Yim said...

Hilda, this building is very beautiful and I like the way you write this post. Very interesting. Thank you for your comments on my blog. I like your blog very much and I am now a follower.

Unknown said...

Great composition, great information and great title too!

Hilda, thank you so much for the congratulations and nice words.

penny said...

It is a beautiful building and a wonderful way to get from one mall to another. This property has quite a long and volatile history.

Thanks for stopping by, Hilda. I always enjoy seeing your infectious smile :D

Judy said...

Wow, that is so interesting. I love the angle on this shot too.

Frank said...

Manila and your country have certainly been in the news here in the U.S. following the death of Corazon Aquino. It must be an interesting time for your country and its political situation.

Ken Mac said...

wild history!

Saretta said...

That is a lot of glass. I wouldn't want to be near that building in an earthquake!

Anonymous said...

I just never thought hotels would be this tall where you live. Although they have some tall ones now in Sendai,Japan where I used to live.

Halcyon said...

I definitely like the idea of a mall with a theater inside!

Anonymous said...

Pizza Hut! Makes me feel more home and comfortable surrounded by this tall monsters :)

escape said...

one of the best hotels that ive been to. because of its cozy area, great location and great view.

Sunshinelene said...

Have passed this way several times long time ago. I like Makati business area because it feels like am not in my own Philippines. :)

Thank you Hilda for visiting my entry for skywatch.

Arlene
http://www.midlifedancing.com

Dina said...

How interesting about the rebellious soldiers.