October 11, 2010

Moo!

The Ateneo John Gokongwei School of Management has a one-year program specifically focused on students with a strong entrepreneurial spirit. It is called the School of Management Business Accelerator Program, or SOMBA for short. At the end of the program, students must have developed a product, created a business plan which has been approved by a panel made up of recognized Filipino businessmen, established their company legally, and generated their projected revenue within a specified selling period. The SOMBA students held a two-day fair in the campus last week and I have to say that I was truly impressed with some of them. I'll be featuring some of their companies and products this week, beginning with one food product which I thought makes best use of a Filipino produce. Tropical Cow Mix & Dip tastes exactly like sweetened condensed milk but is made not of dairy milk but of coconut milk. Called gata in Tagalog, coconut milk comes from the meat of mature coconuts which is grated and squeezed through cheesecloth, and is a common cooking ingredient in the Philippines and in other Southeast Asian countries. For lactose-intolerant people like me, Tropical Cow's Mix & Dip is the perfect condensed milk substitute, and I hope that they can develop other milk substitute products out of coconut milk. I think Tropical Cow's logo (on the screen and on top of the refrigerator)—a typical image of a tropical drink served in a half coconut shell but with an udder—is hilarious, and isn't their mascot (on their t-shirts) just so cute?

Tropical Cow

Tropical Cow Manufacturing, Inc. can be reached by emailing tropicalcow@gmail.com. The Vice President for Operations is Joey Nocom and his email address is joeynocom@gmail.com. They have a website and can also be found in Facebook.

14 comments:

George said...

I hope this company makes it. I like their idea, and I like the idea that there is a program that encourages and mentors young entrepreneurs.

Anonymous said...

How refreshingly hopeful, to see young life doing what seems to be good. Much impressed, as such spirit is largely missing over here.

Please have you all a good new week.

daily athens

Photo Cache said...

that is a good program.

Olivier said...

Humm du lait concentre à la noix de coco, cela doit etre tres bon, j'aimerais bien goute

gadisBunga™ said...

nice invention!

Dina said...

They look like such lively and enthusiastic young people. Good for them!

Cezar and Léia said...

Talented students!This idea is wonderful, good luck for them!
Hugs and a nice week!
Léia

JTG (Misalyn) said...

interesting! may lactose intolerance din ako, bagay sa akin ang product nila ;)

Buck said...

I love coconut milk! I hope they make a fortune - they'll make many coconut farms happy too!!

Kaori said...

I'd love to try that one! Love their logo, too :D

Stefan Jansson said...

There are a few such programs in Sweden but this seem very interesting. Pour me a glass of milk please.

Francisca said...

The program sounds super, perfect for the many young entrepreneurial souls in the Philippines; they need the support. Looks like these young adults have a winner. But while I think the cow mascot is cute-na-cute, I'm not exactly getting it, when the product is coconut based.

Hilda said...

Francisca:
I'm sorry it's not clear in my photo. The cow on their shirt is sipping from a coconut half shell.

Francisca said...

Ay naku! You're right... Even when I enlarged your photo last time I did not notice that. But now I get it. :-) Have a relaxing weekend, Hilda.