September 21, 2008

The blue and the green

In less than half an hour, the hottest collegiate basketball rivalry in Metro Manila—maybe even the Philippines—will begin. Ateneo de Manila's Blue Eagles and De La Salle's Green Archers are vying for the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) men's basketball championship. And almost everyone has gone crazy. The Philippine Star, a national daily, has it on the front page, along with a small feature about which team U.S. Ambassador Kristie Kenney cheers for. The Philippine Daily Inquirer, another national daily, featured the rivalry in their free tabloid Libre. Trinoma mall, which is nowhere near the stadium, has just gone blue and green and so has McDonalds' advertising. In past years, Krispy Kreme created special blue and green doughnuts and even Pepsi came out with blue and green soda pop. All over Metro Manila, those who weren't able to buy tickets are gathering around TVs—in their homes, in cafés and bars, even in gyms set up with projection screens. Alumni of both schools who are based in other cities in the Philippines are now having reunions of a sort, just to watch the game together and cheer on their school team. Die-hard alumni basketball fans living in other countries are not neglected either. The Filipino Channel is offering the game in a live broadcast, internet video stream. It's crazy, I tell you. Oh, and the blue "FIGHT" poster—that's mine. Go Blue Eagles!!!

Blue Eagles vs. Green Archers in printed media


UPDATE 6:55 PM
Ateneo won 69–61! Go Ateneo! One big fight! Next game's on Thursday.

18 comments:

Webradio said...

Bonjour Hida !
Funny text...

I like blue : sky
I dont't like green : hell !

Laurie Allee said...

How exciting! Even Laker Fever here in Los Angeles doesn't get quite that intense. (But almost!)

Eki said...

I can feel the heat building up from those media pages you posted on the wall. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a neat way to advertise the game. Nice post, Hilda.

Stevenson Q said...

JaJAJAJA I was about to say "no comment" on your post because as you know, I am from La Salle! jajajajaja

But hey! I'm from DLSU-Dasma! Not from DLSU-Manila and besides, I think ateneans are great people too! Just like my friend Hilda^^

Whoever wins, WINS^^

By the way, schools near it's closing in a few weeks! Hope to go back to regular posting again! I missed everyone here already!

God bLess you and Mabuhay from Cavite^^

Steven^^ (Panay ata english ko! Nosebleed^^)

Hilda said...

LOL, Eki!

I am not a sports fanatic so there's no way I'll have these on my wall—I just put them on the floor. I don't even watch really. I just take a peek in the last few minutes if I'm at home. I do want my alma mater to win though. The last time we won the championship was back in 2002!

Layrayski said...

I'm an Atenean, Hilda. Sort of. Xavier University- Ateneo de Cagayan counts right? =) haha btw, I used to play as a varsity in college too. It must be great watching the two great rivals going at it in the hard court! I think I remember when Ateneo won that last time. I think that was the last time I watched college basketball also.

Knoxville Girl said...

That's a cool poster, and it's fun to see that Manila can get sports fever, like we do here with college football.

Saretta said...

I had no idea that basketball was so popular in Manila! My family and I are big basketball fans. My son has played mini-basketball for 5 years and we attend all of the local team's games...even the away games! Go Ateneo!

Joy said...

Animo La Salle! :D I remember the days, and they were indeed exciting! I'm rooting for DLSU, no matter what.

Thanks for visiting Norwich Daily Photo and leaving your comments. Sorry for the late visit. Recovering from the flu. Have a nice week!


joy
A Pinay In England
Your Love Coach
I, Woman

Jane Hards Photography said...

Sport is a great leveller. The poster
is very eyecatching and to the point.
It's the other football here of course soccer.

Halcyon said...

I guess Americans aren't the only ones crazy for college sports! Right now everyone is going mad over football.

Olivier said...

très bon texte ;o) et surtout félicitation a l'équipe d'Ateneo. Prochaine victoire jeudi prochain.

very good text ;o) and especially congratulations to the team of Ateneo. Next victory Thursday.

Ken Mac said...

I'm not much of a sports fan beyond tennis, but you gotta admit it brings people together!

Sally said...

And so the excitment mounts! Glad you understand the development dilemma at Tempe House, and thanks for visiting!
Sydney Daily Photo

Harry Makertia said...

Go go blue!

You have basketball, and we're crazy about soccer. Bandung is covered by blue colour when Bandung Football Club PERSIB plays in this city. :)

Anonymous said...

I understand the advertisements and establishments taking advantage of the event but a front page in one of the more important national dailies?

I think Ateneo will grab the title tomorrow. The team is not only talented. They are more capable physically, and the team makes smarter decisions compared to the past few batches of the Blue Eagles. Black is amazing but Pumaren cancels out that advantage.

But of course knowing that I still can't keep myself from wanting the Archers to at least win a match later.

 gmirage said...

True, they also grace our papers banner photos during the UAAP Season! Ah really miss those days!