March 21, 2009

Bubbly chicken

Since it opened in 1945, Max's Restaurant has been known for almost only one thing: its crispy, tender, juicy fried chicken. Drop the diet and forget about cholesterol because you just have to eat the skin of this one. Instead of regular potato, Max's fried chicken is served with kamote (sweet potato) fries. Sweet potato has a higher nutritional value than the common potato and is popular as an inexpensive snack food among Filipinos. My favorite accompaniment to their fried chicken is their pancit canton. Named for the southern Chinese province of Guangdong (Canton is the anglicized form) where the original egg noodle dish came from centuries ago, Max's pancit canton is topped with vegetables, pork, shrimp and chicken, including its lamang loob (innards), which makes it even tastier. Don't worry if you can't eat those—I can't either and just push them aside. And for a refreshing drink, a tall glass of buko pandan shake: fresh young coconut, milk, sugar and ice run through a blender and served over cubes of pandan gelatin.

Max's fried chicken, pancit canton and buko pandan shake

Max's Restaurant has always been popular in Metro Manila for large family parties, and I thought this would be an appropriate post because one year ago on this date, I posted my first photo in My Manila. Back then, I had no plans of making it a daily photo blog because I already had Happy at Home. I only joined City Daily Photo two months later, and silly me even registered the wrong email address so I couldn't get into the author forums until I emailed the Eric of Paris Daily Photo and he corrected my information. Thanks again, Eric! And thank you to all of you who have made blogging such a wonderful experience for me—for your comments, your appreciation, and more than anything else, for your own blogs. I truly enjoy all the blogs that I visit because of the fantastic photos and the wonderful information that I learn—about history, lifestyle, customs, architecture and nature. What some people assume as ordinary can be so fascinating to me because it's so different from my experience. When people write about their country's painful circumstances, I am always humbled and shamed, and reminded and challenged to see beyond myself and try to do some good. For all of these, and much, much more, thank you. Now dig in!

22 comments:

Steve Harris said...

That is a very tasty photo! Nice angle, and a great blend of colours. Now I'm off to find some dinner :-)

roentare said...

Simply too yummy looking in deed!

Great shot in deed!

Lois said...

Oh my gosh that looks delicious Hilda! Congratulations on your blog's anniversary! I enjoy your blog so much and always appreciate your kind comments on mine.

Fredrik said...

Mmmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Happy blog birthday Hilda! It's been a pleasure to be a visitor here :)

I'll give the chicken a miss as I'm a veggie, but I love the thought of sweet potato chips so I'll have a double lot of them!

Lowell said...

Congrats, Hilda, on one year's work! Thank goodness you stuck with it as your photos are always a delight and I've already learned so much from your descriptions.

For instance, I have learned about Max's (1945?!) and have decided I shall eat there if and when I ever get to Manilla, and I'll tell them Hilda sent me!

VP said...

What a delicious food have you desribed with words and images!
Congratulations, it is always a pleasure to read your posts and your comments everywhere.
And the unintended consequence of the announce of your anniversary was to remind me that just three months ago I posted my first photo.

dianasfaria.com said...

that looks delish!

Cezar and Léia said...

yummy!Please Hilda...don`t do it, I really need a diet!
You write well! I loved your story in this post! Very nice!
Léia :-)

 gmirage said...

I miss this...I always enjoy coming over here because I feel step closer to home when I do :) Have a happy Sunday!

lunarossa said...

Looks delicious, Hilda! Congratulation for your blog-anniversary. Hope you will keep on bloggin on and on and on...Thanks for the pleasure you give us. Ciao. Antonella

marley said...

Love the post today and not just because its food related! The drink sounds very delicious :)

Reena said...

oh, wait, so this means it's your blog's anniversary? happy anniv!

that's why i love your blog. kasi it shows me the different sides of manila kahit paminsan we don't like what we see. it does humbles us pinoys and stirs up some emotions. wait, i'm so madrama na. hahaha.

ah basta, i also love it that people around the world enjoys your blog. you're a walking tourism ad eh. hehe...kudos!

George said...

The meal looks absolutely delicious. I would love to get to Manila to try that.
Congratulations on your anniversary. I really enjoy your blog.

skywind said...

Oh, very nice color, it should be a good chicken flavor. :)
What is Really Healthy-Health Blog
Humor & Fun World-Funny Blog

Tamera said...

Happy blog birthday! That food looks deeeelish too. :o) Tamera

marley said...

Naughty Marley. Slap my hands.

I didn't read the second part of your text and realised I missed the celebration! Sorry :)

Many, many congratulations on your one year anniversary. Your blog is always so interesting and its a real joy to read the comments you post on my blog. Heres to another brilliant year! Yay!

Ming the Merciless said...

The noodles and fried chicken look soooo delicious. I love sweet potato fries but most restaurants that serve them usually don't fry them properly. The use oil that are not hot enough so the fries end up soft and greasy.

The places that do fries really well (like McDonald's) do not serve sweet potato fries. :-(

escape said...

good that i checked your blog during lunch time.

Halcyon said...

We have sweet potato fries here too! And Sweet Potato Queens. :)

Joe Narvaez said...

Ngiiii ansarap po! Gusto ko tuloy kumain ng manok paguwi ko.

Kim said...

Hilda, I'm coming very late to the party, but want to celebrate your 1st blogoversary. I don't know how I missed you. I just saw it on the Forum this evening. There are SO MANY blogs celebrating significant anniversaries right now, and I am very sorry to be giving belated best wishes and thanks to one of the loveliest ladies out there in our community of CDPB friends. I love visiting you and always enjoy your shots and your thoughts. You are very special to so many of us, and I love your warmth, enthusiasm, and just how cool you are! Here's to another great year ahead of sharing you Manilla with us. Many thanks!
-Kim