August 18, 2009

The Next Wave

It is only the sixth year of the Ateneo Art Awards and it is quickly growing into a much-coveted award by Filipino artists 35-years-old and younger. From granting just one art residency in Australia, it now grants four with the addition of programs in Indonesia, Singapore and New York. The exhibit and awarding ceremony venues are always high-profile, which is one reason why it has been very successful. The first four years, it was at the Power Plant Mall in Makati City. In 2008 and this year, it was at the Shangri-la Plaza Mall in Mandaluyong City. I finally decided to satisfy my curiosity and attended last week's ceremony for the 2009 awards. I took this from a higher floor quite early when people were just starting to arrive for the cocktails. Two hours later, the cordoned-off area was jam-packed with artists and society people and one could hardly move around, much less appreciate the artwork. When the exhibit moves to the more peaceful Ateneo Art Gallery, I'll try to visit and take pictures of the winning pieces, but in the meantime, photos of the twelve in the short list are here.

Ateneo Art Awards 2009

14 comments:

James said...

I bet you will see some really good artwork.

Layrayski said...

Wow, I wish I was there.

Don and Krise said...

Lucky! You get to go to all the good stuff. Can't wait to see the winners. Okay Hilda we'll let you go so you can schmooze.

Olivier said...

belle vue d'ensemble et une bonne idée. On attend les photos des œuvres

nice overview and a good idea. They wait for the photographs of creations.

penny said...

What a nice venue for all the artist and visitors. Its a wonderful way to inspire young artist.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a kind comment, Hilda.
It always makes my day to see your smiling face :D

Halcyon said...

I think that's a nice way to encourage up-and-coming artists. Can't wait to see your follow-up!

VP said...

Beautiful image of an event that seems very interesting. I can't say the same of at least half of the oeuvres you linked, the others are quite good, this obviously in my humble and unworthy opinion.
Keep us posted, I hope the winner is in the half of the pack I like.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow you were there!Beautiful picture from this event!
God bless you
Léia

Anonymous said...

Most of them are quite scary :) The pile of chairs or something looks like a staging are of the event :) I like the white-round-boobs-like things - happy and fun!

Lois said...

How exciting Hilda! It's always nice to reward young artists.

Lowell said...

This is a superb photo, Hilda...it has lots of interest, is very colorful, the lighting is perfect and it's tack-sharp!

Wow! You ought be in the "photo art" grouping!

Hilda said...

Don:
I didn't schmooze at all, and I hate crowds. A few of us from the university took refuge behind the fountain, at a spot directly below where I took this photo ;)

George said...

This sounds like a very successful program. I hope you got to mix with the crowd after you got this picture.

Ming the Merciless said...

What an interesting observation! It's probably true that most of the people who go to art openings are there to socialize instead of seeing the artwork.