September 26, 2009

Across another street

A view of the front of the Quezon City Hall compound from inside the Quezon Memorial Circle. I call this 8-lane road the wild, wild west (imagine trying to cross it!) and is the reason why I love Mayor Sonny Belmonte for creating the pedestrian underpass which links city hall with the memorial park. Of course, there's no way to hide that huge eyesore of an unfinished building behind city hall. Architect Reena of Reena's Thoughts said that she heard that the developer has a pending case in court over this building because Quezon City has a law which states that no structure at a given area around the Quezon Memorial should be taller than it. I've looked at the memorial, city hall and the eyesore from afar and I think she's right. City hall's tallest building is shorter than the memorial but the unfinished building is definitely taller than the memorial. Now I want to know who in city hall gave the developer a permit to build in the first place.

front view of the Quezon City Hall compound


I recently found out that My Manila made it as a finalist in the Best Photo Blog nationwide category of the Philippine Blog Awards! Whether I win or not, I'm just happy to have made it that far, especially considering the fact that many of the finalists are professional photographers or serious hobbyists. For me and my itsy-bitsy camera to be counted among them is a great honor.

I hope you can visit all the finalists but if you only have time for one, then I highly recommend the blog of Dennis Villegas, my favorite among the ten (yes, including mine—if I were a judge, he'd be the winner). I don't know who he is or what he does but his photo essays are an amazing, though very gritty, look at Manila.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw, Ma'am Hilda! A friend of mine is a finalist too, in the best tech blog category (TechPinas). Congratulations!!! You guys make me want to start (and keep up! :D) my own blog too.

Good luck! :)

-Mia S.

magiceye said...

congratulations on reaching the finals! you deserve it!! hope you go on to win!!

cheers!

Dina said...

What a shame about that permit being given.
But what good news about the recognition of the greatness of your blog. Mazal tov, Hilda!

penny said...

I think maybe the developer slipped a little something in the hand of someone... shame, shame!

I am thrilled for you, Hilda... I sincerely think that you and your wonderful blog are already winners!

Good luck and king regards, Pam :)

Layrayski said...

Congrats! And good luck hilda =)

George said...

Congratulations on being a finalist for the Best Photo Blog. If I were a judge, you would win -- I always find your posts fascinating.
Here in the U.S. Philadelphia used to have an ordinance that said no building could be higher than the statue of William Penn (founder of Pennsylvania) atop City Hall. That has since been changed.

Reena said...

wow, special mention! hehe. salamat. :)

if the developer loses, they can choose to just cut the building. it is structurally possible. i dnt know why they maintain it there. it has been there for decades...

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Congratulations on your finalist! Good work!

That is too bad about the too tall building.

Cezar and Léia said...

My Léia would certainly have an issue if she had to cross an 8-lane avenue! Well, I guess I'd also feel rather unsure about doing it... I have a suggestion for the eyesore: it should be declared public property, then auctioned and then someone would make a nice hotel out of it. Not ideal but perhaps better than the unfinished thing... And the mousie who has given the construction permit should be fed to cats... Oops...
God bless you!
Cezar

Lois said...

Congratulations Hilda! Good luck to you!

Lowell said...

I like this photo a lot; it's so well composed and gives a sense of stability as well as movement. Nice to hear there's an underground pedestrian walkway!

Don't much like the unfinished building...with regard to who gave the permit, follow the money.

Wow! Congratulations, Hilda. But don't put yourself down...you've posted so many absolutely gorgeous photos of your city. Be proud. And I hope you win! (Can I vote somehow?)

Don and Krise said...

Congratulations Hilda! You are in the finals for a reason. You may have a small camera but you have one of the most informative blogs I've seen. You always do your homework and present it in an easy to understand package. We're pulling for you.
As far as the building goes, it doesn't really surprise me that it slipped past some dummy's eyes. The paper gets shuffled, the building goes up, then everything starts to go sour. Someone is at fault. Do you think we'll find out who it was?

Ebie said...

Congratulations for making it to the finals! I have always admired your photography! I am a subscriber of Dennis' and I love his photojournalism.

hadv said...

Congratulations Hilda! Is there a way to vote? :D

Dennis Villegas said...

Thank you ma'am Hilda, but if I were the judge, I will vote for you. You have many very informative posts and great pictures.