May 21, 2011

Guardians

Two buffaloes flank the steps leading to the Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park. The carabao (Bubalus bubalis carabanesis), with its long curved horns, is a domesticated water buffalo native to Southeast Asia. It is a precious farm animal, used to pull plows and carts. It is also a source of milk (which I find milder and more delicious than cow's milk) and—rarely, because of its much-needed help in farms—meat.

carabao sculpture at the entrance of the Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park


The tamaraw (Bubalus mindorensis), with its V-shaped horns, is the only bovine endemic to the Philippines, and is found only in the island of Mindoro. In the century since Mindoro was first settled, the tamaraw population in the island has been reduced drastically, and it is now classified in the IUCN Red List as critically endangered.

tamaraw sculpture at the entrance of the Quirino Grandstand in Rizal Park

10 comments:

Al said...

Nice shots. We have assorted buffaloes here in Colorado. I've never tried their milk, but buffalo mozzarella is wonderful, one of the Front Range dishes is buffalo mozzarella with fresh tomato slices. I never pass that up if I see it on a menu.

Dina said...

Endangered?! What a shame.
I like water buffalo. We had some at Heifer Ranch in Arkansas. We could even ride them.

Christina S said...

I've never tried buffalo milk! Very characterful statues! Hope my name change won't be confusing for too long :-D

Lowell said...

That buffalo is a fierce-looking thing with those horns...like our Texas Longhorns, but fiercer!

So sad that the tamaraw is endangered! Funky horns - unusual for me.

Cezar and Léia said...

wow impressive sculpture!
Léia

JTG (Misalyn) said...

Dami na talagang nabago sa Rizal Park, dapat ilagay ko na sya sa aking list. Galing ng anggulo!

When I stumbled upon the UCN website, lalo na nung kagagaling ko sa Al Ain Zoo, madami ako nalamang mga animals na endangered na. Kaka-sad.

Kaori said...

Wow. These statues are quite magnificent! I hope the tamaraw does not go extinct.

Francisca said...

I only learned about the tamaraw when I was on a consultancy trip to Mindoro last fall, but I was not told it was endangered. Sayang.

Grandine_solaris said...

uhm. i just wanna ask permission to use your tamaraw screenshot. thanks

Hilda said...

Hi, Grandine. Sure. But I'd like to request that you attribute it properly to My Manila, wherever you use it. Thanks!