May 13, 2011

Hold on for dear life

Several years ago, Metro Manila's traffic enforcers were told to be strict against people hanging on to the back of jeepneys, what we call "sabit." But with cops no longer enforcing that rule (I'm not even sure if it was a law or not), commuters are back to their old ways. And no, not all the sabit you will see in our streets are getting a free ride; most of them actually pay the fare.

man hanging on to the outside of a jeepney


This was taken through the windshield of our car, so I apologize for the reflections which make the picture look fuzzy.

6 comments:

George said...

I hope this rider at least got a reduced fare!

Oakland Daily Photo said...

This guy is either brave, desperate, or nuts.

James Mark said...

This gives me an idea - one of these in York would cause quite a stir.

Kaori said...

I remember these jeepneys and I had such a blast one them! They really do hang on like an expert! :D

Francisca said...

I'm missing home and my honey, but not necessarily jeepneys, even if I do think they add local flavor... :-)

JTG (Misalyn) said...

I remember my college days when we used to ride the jeepney from UERM to UE Recto just to attend our PE class. Nasubukan ko ng sumabit hahaha!