July 19, 2009

30th

The Very Reverend Adolfo Nicolás is the current Superior General of the Society of Jesus, the largest male religious order in the Roman Catholic Church. He is only the thirtieth Superior General in the order's 469-year history (St. Ignatius of Loyola being the first) and was elected to the position on January 19, 2008. Fr. Nicolás is Spanish but he has spent more than half of his 73 years in Asia, mostly in Japan but also for about ten years in Manila. The headquarters of the Jesuits is in Rome so Fr. Nicolás is now based there, but he returned to Manila for several days last week to visit the Philippine Jesuits. He gave the keynote address during the Jesuit Basic Education Congress hosted by the Ateneo de Manila University and, though I'm not involved directly in academics, I was lucky enough to have been able to attend his talk. In case any of you are interested in the "Issues and Challenges in Jesuit Education Today," a three-part video of Fr. Nicolás' talk is available here, here and here. But only if you use Internet Explorer—I use Firefox and it can't even detect what kind of plug-in is needed to watch it.

the Very Reverend Adolfo Nicolás, Superior General of the Society of Jesus

15 comments:

Dina said...

He looks like a good man for the job.
OK, I'll go over to Internet "Exploder" and have a look. Thanks.

Lois said...

How wonderful that you were given the opportunity to attend Hilda!

George said...

Thanks for the interesting post. I don't have Internet Explorer (we have Macs), so I can't access his talk, but I imagine it was very interesting.

Meri said...

What a distinguished man.

Don and Krise said...

How fortunate you were able to go. I'll have to hop over to IE (temporarily as I'm a Firefox user too)and check it out.

James said...

That's amazing only the 13th in all those years.

VP said...

I remember something I read about him when he was elected. Impressive portrait of a distinguished man.

Anonymous said...

Funny, you have lots of firefox fans here! (me too!)

That is a great portrait - perhaps you should email him a copy :)

Jackie

PS Re your comment yesterday, the organ in the museum is played most days at 1pm. I've only heard it once, but it sounded good to me!

Anonymous said...

It appears to be a (simple) Windows Media Video (wmv) format. Can see it both with Safari and Firefox on my Mac. But then I've got Flip4Mac installed, which makes it possible to view wmv format with Quicktime on OSX.

Janet said...

He looks very learned. Nice that you could attend.

Lowell said...

I'm sure he was quite interesting.

Mark Kreider said...

Nice blog! This man has a look of serenity which shows him to be genuine. I liked the photo of the Giant Crab.... fabulous!

gogouci said...

I agree, nice candid portrait. How nice you were able to attend. I'll have to hop over to IE and learn more. Thanks for sharing.

Jilly said...

What a super sensitive portrait of this gentleman.

Laurie Allee said...

This is a beautiful portrait.