July 14, 2009

A giant in Philippine telecoms

Another round of introductions today, this time with one of the Philippines' most powerful men, who happens to still be eligible too. Manuel V. Pangilinan is the Chairman of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT), the country's largest telecommunications company, and Smart Communications, the country's leading and most popular cellphone company. That's just the tip of the iceberg but I am not about to list all his positions in the many other private companies, sports commissions and social development organizations that he is involved with in the Philippines. Let me just add that he is also the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of First Pacific, a Hong Kong-based investment and management company with operations all over Asia. He is turning 63 today so: Happy Birthday, Mr. Pangilinan!

Manuel V. Pangilinan

14 comments:

Halcyon said...

He looks very serious!

George said...

He certainly has been very successful. I wonder how it is that he is still eligible?

James said...

I almost bought some Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. stock s couple of years ago, I don't remember what stopped me but I'm glad I didn't
Thanks to this post PHI is back on my watch list.

stromsjo said...

As you're updating us, there's a guy in the background taking notes as well about this birthday! ;)

VP said...

I would be curious to know how you met and photographed this powerful man.

Lowell said...

Nice looking man and a very fine portrait, Hilda. Did he pose for you?

Leif Hagen said...

Hilda from Manila! So, how did you meet this fellow? He has a handsome shirt - typical Filipino shirt?

Saretta said...

How did you get so up close and personal with this bigwig? Spill the beans, Hilda!

Ken Mac said...

Hilda hanging with the movers and shakers!

Judy said...

He looks quite young for 63. Nice photo of him, Hilda.

Stefan Jansson said...

A powerful man. Would be interesting to know how you met. And just like Per I wonder about the man in the background, what is he writing?

Hilda said...

Vogon Poet:
He also happens to be the chairman of the university I work for, so he's present during many of our events. This was at the anniversary kick-off celebration last June 14.

Jacob:
And no, he didn't pose for me. On the contrary, he kept looking away from the camera! Frustrating, to say the least.

Saretta:
Not up close at all. There was a large group of people between us but I found a gap where he could be seen quite well.

Leif:
He is wearing what we call a barong Tagalog, which is a typical Filipino dress shirt. This has a simpler design that most.

Per & Steffe:
I have no idea who the man in the background is. Not a member of our party. This was at a public place — in front of a mall, no less.

George:
We all wonder that too! :)

escape said...

wow! do you know him personally?

Anonymous said...

God bless him in his & the nation's growth.

peter

------------
Free Satellite TV