July 5, 2009

Challenged

I've shown you photos of the pretty rooftop gardens of Trinoma mall here and here. Right across that huge mall is another huge mall, SM City North EDSA. SM, owned by the Sy family, was the first modern mall in the northern part of Quezon City, but through the decades, it had come to look a bit seedy and it never had upscale American or European brands and shops, so the more affluent residents of Quezon City and Caloocan City still had to go south to Makati City to do their shopping. When the new and more beautiful Trinoma, owned by the Zobel de Ayala family, opened with its designer boutiques a few years ago, rich Caloocan and Quezon City residents finally had a place to shop. And since it also had the more affordable local stores, not to mention numerous restaurants and cafés around its green terraces, Trinoma pulled away quite a lot of SM's customers. So SM City North was forced to renovate extensively, building The Block then razing The Annex to the ground and rebuilding it. It also built this Sky Garden above what used to be its open car park. The Sky Garden opened the week after I took this photo. Next time I go to SM City North, I'll try to walk down its 400-meter length just to see what's there.

Sky Garden of SM City North EDSA

16 comments:

Don and Krise said...

What is it they say? In business it's eat or get eaten right? I guess they had two choices. Renovate or give up. I can't wait till you go there and get some shots. I know they'll be great as are all of your posts. Hope you're having a good weekend!

Lowell said...

That's beautiful. I's amazing what a little competition can accomplish!

George said...

I think it's wonderful that this mall responded to its challenges by building something of beauty. I hope this works and inspires more gardens for people to enjoy.

dianasfaria.com said...

I love how the billboard is sticking up out of the greenery. It's a nice take on advertising.
Also, what a cool way to renovate, making something so much more modern.

Fadhli said...

unique roof hilda...

Mo said...

Great idea.
I am having problems opening several blogs. Yours is one of them It seems to be a documented problem with blogger that is being worked on. Not sure why it is happening. So if I don't comment sometimes its because I am having difficulty opening your blog.

VP said...

I agree with the positive tone of the above comments, this garden looks nice enough and I hope you'll walk soon these 400 meters for us.

B SQUARED said...

Interesting looking. Amazing what competition brings about.

Anonymous said...

I am thankful to see this sky garden. It is a good thing to do for the environment. I would think it is a popular place too.

Frank said...

That is such an unusual design. It has a strangely submarine/boat like look to it. And the grass??
I don't know what the final verdict will be on malls, but I'd like to see us go back to the neighborhood stores. Malls seem so impersonal.

Judy said...

This is an interesting looking structure. It will be fun to see what you find inside.
Like MO, I am having trouble opening your blog. Sometimes it won't open at all and other times it takes two or three trys. It is happening with several other blogs too.

Chattahoochee Valley Daily said...

Interesting shot. Retail makes the world go round.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

What an interesting Sky Garden. Great composition. I am glad you enjoyed the Chihuly glass art on my site today. It is unique that it changes with the light.

Lois said...

It's amazing what a little competition will do!

escape said...

havent been there though i've seen it from the road. thanks for that piece of garden. it has a mix of modern and natural structure.

Anonymous said...

Really unique it's a tough challenge.


peter

------------
Free Satellite TV